Monday 29 September 2008

Thomas Hardy Selected Poetry.



Author: Thomas Hardy
ISBN: 0-14-058538-9
Genre: Poetry
Pages: 464
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Penguin


I have always been a fan of Poetry and like to write poetry myself. When I saw this at my local Library I just had to pick it up, but first I read through a poem to make sure I wanted it and I loved it.

With most of the poems I find myself having to read them twice or more, not because I didn't 'get it' but because I love them, and reading them over and over helps you to understand them more. They are brilliant and my favourite of them is 'I Look Into My Glass'. But to be honest they are all brilliant.

This is a book not to just read once, but to have by your bed, in your bag to read on the train to work or wherever it is that you like to chill out, and read over and over again, going through your most favourite poems.

A brilliant collection of Hardy's poetry. 10/10

4 comments:

Davina said...

Hi I just love to read an im going to follow your blog and see if i can find this book in my school library and I hope its as good as you say it is

Maggs said...

Hi Davina, I really enjoy this book. I think if you love Poetry you will love it. Obviously the style is different from modern day poetry. May be this is one of the reasons I love it so much. Also you get to see a little inside Hardy's mind, which is fascinating.

I hope you enjoy it. :)

Anonymous said...

I have only read his novel Far From the Madding Crowd but I will keep a look out for his poetry. I just read a book called Tamsin by Peter S Beagle set in Dorset which referenced Hardy a lot and I think you would really enjoy it. It's fantasy/ghost story and just your kind of thing if you haven't already read it.

Maggs said...

Thanks for the recommendation Katie. I will add it to my TBR list. ;)