Thursday 8 January 2009

Kafka on the Shore Haruki Murakami

Author: Haruki Murakami
ISBN: 978-0-099-45832-6
Genre: Science Fiction
Pages: 505
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Vintage.

"At fifteen, Kafka Tamura runs away from home, either to escape a gruesome oedipal prophecy or to search for his long-missing mother and sister. And the aging Nakata, who never recovered from a wartime affliction, finds his highly simplified life suddenly upset.Their odyssey, as mysterious to us as it is to them, is enriched throughout by vivid accomplices and mesmerizing events."


My son got me this book for xmas, and in the front he wrote a little note saying he thought he'd get a book that was a little different this time. Well, he was right about that, as this book was very different to what I would normally read.

The book was good, and I did enjoy it although there were a couple of issues in the book that were a bit risky, don't want to say what, as I don't want to give any spoilers away. But when I first started to read this I thought it was a young authors book, but it isn't. It is explicit in places. You can tell it's been written by a male author.

The book is basically like two stories in one book, so you get to read about two characters journey's, and also two worlds, but they both have something to do with what happens.

Kafka, a 15 year old boy, runs away from home to escape his father, and to find his mother and sister. He finds himself at a Library where he makes friends with the owners. I really felt his part in this book, his struggles as a teenager, all the frustrations etc a teenager may feel etc.

Mr Nakata an old man, can talk to cats and can cause fish to fall from the sky. He was my favourite character, I totally adored him.

In all this was a really good book, that was really good from start to finish. I am pleased I read it and I'll be reading more from this author.


4/5 stars from me.




4 comments:

mariel said...

This is always the Murakami that jumps off the shelf at me, yet I still havan't read it! Anything with cats in it is usually ok with me. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Maggs said...

Hi Mariel, you're welcome. There was a part in the book to do with the cats which was really good. I couldn't believe what I was reading and it had me gripped. ;)

Anonymous said...

I hope to read this later in the year. I just can't resist the cover!

Maggs said...

I think you're not gonna like the character, Johnny Walker Katie hehe.