Monday 29 December 2008

I AM LEGEND BY RICHARD MATHESON.


Author: Richard Matheson
ISBN: 978-85798-809-3
Genre: Science Fiction
Pages: 160
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Orion

"Robert Neville is the last living man on earth ...but he is not alone. Every other man, woman and child on the planet has become a vampire, and they are all hungry for Neville's blood. By day he is the hunter, stalking the sleeping undead through the abandoned ruins of civilization. By night, he barricades himself in his home and prays for the dawn. How long can one man survive like this?"


After watching the movie I just had to read the book, I'm a sucker for that. If I love the movie I have to find out if there was a book, and I go and get it. I have to say I totally love the movie, love Will Smith, he's great actor and in 'I Am Legend' he is brilliant!

So, I've read the book and I was not disappointed. My son Jim and his partner Emma, bought this for me, and so it makes the book that bit more extra special. However, if I did dislike it I would say so. But I am happy to announce I love this book.

I was expecting it to be the same story as the movie, after all the book came first, but it isn't. It is like reading about a totally different story. A really good one at that. In the movie they took the basics and created a movie for modern day. However, I thought the book was so good I don't see why they don't make a movie that is true to the book.

In this book there's no Zombies, but Vampires, who are hunting Robert Neville and he must do whatever he can to survive. I won't say more than that. It's a short book of just 160 pages and can easily been read in a day, if you have the time to sit and read it.

I loved the authors style of writing and in some parts of the book I was taken back in memory to when I read The Fog by James Herbert and Pet Semetary by Stephen King. I saw some similarities in the style of writing. I was well and truly hooked. I loved it. :)



No comments: