Monday 6 October 2008

Marley and Me by John Grogan.



Author: John Grogan
ISBN: 978-0-340-92210-1
Genre: Non Fiction
Pages: 343
Format: Paperback
Publisher: HODDER

"John and Jenny were just beginning their life together. They were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they bought home Marley, a wiggly yellow fur ball of a puppy. Life would never be the same. Marley quickly grew into a barrelling, ninety-seven pound steamroller of a Labrador retriever, a dog like no other. He crashed through screen doors, gouged through drywall, flung drool on guests, stole women's undergarments, and ate nearly everything he could get his mouth around, including couches and fine jewelery. Obedience school did no good - Marley was expelled. And yet, Marley's heart was pure. Just as he joyfully refused any limits on his behaviour, his love and loyalty were boundless, too. Marley shared the couple's joy at their first pregnancy, and their heartbreak over the miscarriage. He was there when babies finally arrived and when the screams of a seventeen-year-old stabbing victim pierced the night. This is the heartwarming and unforgettable story of a family in the making and the wondrously neurotic dog who taught them what really matters in life."

I purchased this book on the spur of the moment after reading the great reviews it received. I am so pleased I did.

If you're a dog or an animal lover then this book will reach into your body pulling at your heart.
As I was nearing the end of this book. I was sobbing so much my tears were from heart wrenching sobs. I really loved getting know Marley in this book, and although I shed plenty of tears, there were many moments where I was sat laughing in stitches through reading about his antics.

This is such a heartfelt true story of how John and Jenny got their first puppy, and how he changed their lives for the next 13 years. Causing havoc and distress at the worst of times but also in an instant bringing happiness and laughter and lessons in life, to all who loved him.

I recommend this book to everyone. It is a book I shall always keep close to my heart.

3 comments:

Clare said...

My sister read this and told me about it, I think I'd be in tears!

Clare said...

My sister read this and told me about it, I think I'd be in tears!

Maggs said...

I think you would too Clare. I think you'd relate to it a lot too. But yes it's very sad. I was balling my eyes out.